Monday, December 27, 2010

Day 22: Bite Me?

I've noticed my bite doesn't line up. As my muscles draw my jaws together the bottom jaw wants to meet the upper jaw so that my incisors line up. The feeling is a little like trying to set my teeth on edge. Then the bottom jaw slides back until the rear molars interlock.

The fact I can bite, even in this obtuse way, is huge improvement over the first week of my life with braces. But the lack of natural alignment explains why chewing can be so ungratifying. It takes a lot of work, it's not happening automatically, and I have to bite carefully so that I'm not in fact chewing on the edges of my teeth.

Definitely an issue to take to Dr. W. He had mentioned earlier he might need to shave some of my teeth to compensate for my physiological inability to have a perfect bite. (BTW, when he does this I think I will figure out a way to send in my teeth without me having to be there.) But the lack of alignment I'm experiencing now is more than a little shaving can fix. I presume things have to get worse before they can get better. More shall be revealed.

No comments:

Post a Comment